It is best not to heat or cook raw honey as it tampers with the flavour and aroma (so spare your expensive or unusual honey if you do) however honey does work beautifully with baking.
Honey in baking adds a different flavour, sweetness and depth to sugar. Here are some tips to remember when using honey instead of sugar in baking/recipes:
- 1. Honey is sweeter than sugar so you only need to use 50-75% of honey versus sugar.
- 2. Honey has more liquid so you need to reduce the liquid ratio in your recipe, I usually deduct 10-20%.
- 3. Honey is slightly acidic so you may want to add 1/4 baking powder for every cup of honey to help the batter rise.
- 4. Honey burns faster than sugar, so reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees Celsius.
- 5. You will discover when baking with honey that the moistness of the cake improves (which is why it is so popular in commercial baking).
- If you are going to bake with honey, don’t use the seriously good stuff (save that to eat as simply as possible).